Friday, November 16, 2012

kinton ramen



There has been so much hype about Kinton Ramen. I have visited this place three times in the past two months and became the Kintown Bowler twice. The menu offers seven types of Japanese ramen with choices of light, regular or rich broth and belly or shoulder part of the pork. There are toppings you can add onto the bowl for those who like to customize their dish and few selections of appetizers. I have heard good things about their tofu, I have yet to try them.



The first thing I noticed was the interior design. I was captivated by the rough zigzag puzzle-fitted wood deco on the walls. Simple yet effective. This place is tiny; very narrow and crammed. It will seat about 30 people at a time. Please note, expect a LONG line, especially during dinner hours (yes they have lunch hours and dinner hours; closed between 3-5pm).





The ramen I have tried are: Miso Ramen, Shoyu Ramen and Spicy Garlic Ramen; all with regular broth and shoulder part of the pork.

Miso Ramen: This one is my favourite. The broth had richer flavour compared to others (even on the same regular broth level). I found it little strange to have corn as a topping but overall, I really enjoyed it.

Shoyu Ramen: The broth was lighter compared to miso ramen with a saltier note. It came with hard boiled egg and two sheets of nori.

Spicy Garlic Ramen: I didn't think it was that spicy, but definitely spicier than the other types of ramen they have. I was surprised to see the golf ball sized chopped garlic served with the dish. I am not a huge garlic fan, so I only used half of the garlic ball. Perhaps this was why I didn't think the dish was spicy. I was expecting the cayenne pepper spicy not garlic spicy.

The noodles are soft and chewy. The pork shoulder is very soft and juicy. I tried the belly (from a friend's) and it was bit too fatty for me.


 

Kinton Ramen actively promotes their menu and events online through their facebook, twitter and mobile app. One of the things that kept me coming back was the Kinton Bowler. If you finish your bowl of ramen completely to the last drop of the broth, you are rewarded a Kinton Bowler badge (above) and the honour of your photo posted on their facebook page. If you become a Kinton Bowler for the tenth time, you also get a certificate.



It is very much like Guu, in terms of atmosphere and loudness. The entire staff welcomes and bids you farewell in unison, also occasional shouting of Japanese cheers. Despite the long wait (usually about 20-40minutes), I always enjoy Kinton Ramen. I find they really captured the taste of Japanese ramen (compared to other places in Toronto). The noodles are tasty and the experience is entertaining. Get your group picture taken and become a Kinton Bowler!


Kinton Ramen
51 Baldwin Street
 Toronto, ON
647.748.8900
kintonramen.com


posted by rin

No comments:

Post a Comment