Thursday, November 22, 2012

Butler's Pantry @Roncesvalles




Butler's Pantry is a small sized restaurant that offers unique set of menus for Asian-fusion dishes. There are two locations, Roncesvalles and Markham Street. Both locations are decorated with vintage furniture and have cozy atmosphere.







This is the best salad dressing I have ever tasted. Yes, they are very secretive about the ingredients or how it is made. I asked the waitress one time for the recipe and she said only the owners know the recipe. This made me itch so bad to find what is in this dressing! It is sweet, fruity, rich, little savoury, citrusy... it has a little bit of everything! I wish I had the super palate to figure out what ingredients were used. Unfortunately, my tongue is as plain as it gets, so all I can do is to just come back and enjoy this salad dressing with fresh greens at butler's pantry.




The Cricket Club ($9)
Traditional Club sandwich, with charcoal grilled chicken, bacon, lettuce and tomato with a mango chutney flavored mayonnaise spread

You can't go wrong with a club sandwich. Period. The whole wheat bread was lightly toasted (no it will not hurt your upper mouth as some crispy breads do) and cut into four pieces. The sandwich contains an extra slice of bread in the middle, so it requires you to open wide to bite down the entire sandwich. The mango chutney flavoured mayo is a very nice touch, it adds more flavour compared to plain mayo. It comes with potato chips which I am not sure if it is home made or store bought. It just tasted like lays to me.




Jambalaya ($12)
Our version of the classic Cajun dish. Spicy tomato rice with chicken, zucchini, carrots, leaks, mushrooms and onions

This was my first jambalaya ever and I don't have anything to compared to but I liked it. I am not a tomato fan, but I liked how the tomato didn't overpower everything else. It is not really spicy. The portion was generous and the green salad was a perfect side dish for this savoury dish. I will have to try the real classic jambalaya soon to compare.




Khowsway ($11)
Our version of the famous Burmese dish. Chicken pieces cooked in a coconut milk sauce, mildly spiced served on a bed of egg noodles and garnished with chopped onions, tomatoes, cucumber and coriander

This dish was a surprise. We read the description but didn't know what to expect. The noodles were little hard and didn't have much flavour. The chicken was tender and well soaked in coconut milk sauce which was good.




The staff here are very friendly and down to earth. I like Butler's Pantry because of the amazing, mouth watering salad dressing, but also because the menu is quite unique. Some people might find it strange or all over the place to have so many different dishes but I like it that you can go to one place and try various dishes. Since the menu is Asian-fusion, you won't find any traditional ethnic dishes here but Butler's is a great place for your creative appetite.


Butler's Pantry
371 Roncesvalles Ave
Toronto, ON
416.537.7750
butlerspantry.ca

posted by rin

No comments:

Post a Comment